Friday, September 30, 2011

A New Home






We’ve been in Oxford a month now and have accomplished a lot.  We found a home that we move into in November.  John has had a great start to his work at the Said Business School.  We’re starting to make friends and create a sense of community.  And we are figuring out, bit by bit, how things are done here.  We each bought a bike; we can go anywhere on the buses; and we’ve even successfully navigated the UK banking system.  It might not sound like much, but to us it is success!  



     Our New home: 12 The Paddock






A few things I’ve learned this past month:

-It doesn’t always rain in England.  We’ve had a month of glorious weather!
-People are genuinely kind here
-Everyone thanks the bus driver when they get off the bus (people here are polite)
-Brits think American accents are charming in the same way we think British accents are
-Some of the countryside is so picturesque that I keep thinking I’m on a BBC production set
-I love Oxford, but I’m not so crazy about the empty nest.  I miss my kids!
-Skype truly is miraculous
-It feels good to have a steep learning curve again.  Everything is new and needs figuring out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment