Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Party Fit For A Queen!

I went to London today, along with a million other well wishers to watch the Diamond Julilee flotilla.  It was amazing -- a once in a lifetime experience.  In fact, the last time the Thames has seen a flotilla of this magnitude was 350 years ago under the reign of Charles II. This is only the  second time in English history there has been a Diamond Jubilee for a monarch who has reigned this long.  The first was Queen Victory. 

I didn't get to London at the crack of dawn to save a great spot but I did climb up on a railing and had a decent vantage point, despite the crowds.  It rained in London all morning.  Then, an hour before the flotilla, the rain stopped as if by divine decree and it didn't rain the whole time the Queen was sailing down the Thames.  The royal barge made it all the way to the Tower Bridge before the rain began again.  My perch was under a tree so I was able to stay to the bitter end without getting too wet.  I made it back to Victoria Station and onto the bus back to Oxford and thoroughly enjoyed the happy, well behaved, and delightful crowds -- these aren't adjectives I generally use for crowds but today they most definitely applied.

All in all, it was a day I'll never forget.  I plan to go in again on Tuesday to see the pageantry as the whole royal family parades to the palace in their fancy carriages.  I'll bring a stepping stool so I can see above the crowds. 

The Brits have called this jubilee, "A party 60 years in the making" and, "We say God save the queen and He has to our great benefit."  It has been such a treat to be here during this remarkable party.  I've posted some photos on the blog -- I wish they did the event justice.  I just couldn't capture the scope and color of the pageantry and the jubilant crowds.

God save the Queen!








This was a gondola from Venice


This was a boat made for the film "Robin Hood" with Russel Crowe








This was my favorite --  each boat represents a land of the Commonwealth

The Royal Barge
Camila, William and a bit of Charles
The Queen and Philip








Happy crowds!







No comments:

Post a Comment