Monday, March 3, 2014

London Art 14

One of the many things I love about living here is that sometimes I get to do things that I never imagined I would ever have a chance to do.  Case in point: This past weekend I spent 5 days at the London Art14 Art fair helping my sister with her Catherine Hammond Gallery exhibit.  From April 28 through March 2 the Olympia Grand Hall in London was filled with contemporary art from 180 galleries. Forty different countries were represented, some came from as far away as India, Australia, South Africa, Iran, India, China, and Brazil.  Catherine's gallery was the only one from Ireland. 

We arrived on Wednesday and spent the afternoon unloading the van and setting up Catherine's gallery. It was amazing to arrive at this huge hall that had been partitioned into 180 smaller spaces.  When we arrived, the carpenters where still hammering, setting up, and painting walls. I wish I had set up a stop-gap camera to catch the magic of 180 galleries setting up, hanging and installing art over the next several hours.  Imagine 180 pop-up galleries all in one space.  It was a sight to behold.  

 Catherine's gallery space was toward the back and center of the huge hall, right next to the Champagne bar.  

   This gallery was from Walpole, New Hampshire, USA.

 This gallery was just across from us and was from Australia. 

Catherine had wonderful help from carpenter Stevie and van driver Tony, and of course sister Shelley!

All set up and ready for the opening. 

One of Catherine's artists chatting with her at the fair.

Her exhibit was beautifully displayed. Even the director of the fair singled Catherine out for having the most cohesive and visually pleasing space.  I know I'm biased but after seeing every booth there, I had to agree.  

 The fair organizers expected about 30,000 to attend the fair.  All I know is once it opened Thursday morning, there was a steady stream, with occasional large crowds until Sunday evening.

 My favorite piece at the fair was a wall hanging (pictured in the center here) made of sheet metal rolls that were oxidized.  I wish I had taken a close-up to capture the stunning nature of this piece.  It sold immediately.  

There were large installation throughout the fair.  This was probably the most conservative of the installations. 

Out of all the thousands of pieces of art there, I was surprised that there were only half a dozen pieces that really jumped out at me and caught my imagination and my heart.   I was also surprised to see what sold. Clearly there is no accounting for taste, mine or anyone else's. Every piece there, however, did give me something to think about and react to.  I was constantly in awe of the power of art, ideas, passion, and the process of creation. 

While the fair was a very well organized fair and well attended, I'm not sure how successful it was.  Several galleries didn't sell anything at all.   

This print was probably the best selling item at the fair.  This is a wood block print of London depicting 1000 plus years of the city's history in cartoon form.  It is a limited edition of 50 prints and they sold out all 50 prints for £3000 a piece. 

It was a wonderful 5 days spent with my sister, staying with dear family friends, immersing myself in a world I know very little about, and meeting all kinds of interesting people.  It was definitely a "sport with the Muses" and "the employment of means for enjoyment". 


No comments:

Post a Comment