Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The last film shoot of Downton Abbey in Bampton

Today marks the end of an era for the little town of Bampton! Today was truly the final day of Downton Abbey filming in this lovely Cotswold village.  The snow that was used yesterday on the set was gone, the sun was out, the village was sparkling, and it was the last day that the church square in Bampton will be the little village of Downton.  


This year's filming has been very different than previous seasons. There were many more screens up to protect the actors and scenes. There was more security about and a greater tension between security and the paparazzi. It was no longer possible to get photos of or with the main actors. There were also more people watching the filming and so there was a designated gawking area. In earlier seasons, things were more relaxed and low key and anyone could wander through the set and mingle, to some degree, with the actors. Those days are long gone.  

 

Even so, the crew seemed as professional and pleasant as ever.  The extras were friendly and very interesting to talk to.  I've met some delightful people in Bampton who I won't forget.  Most everyone I spoke with today and yesterday are both sad to see this end and so grateful they all had such an amazing ride! Even though I live 20 minutes away, I guess I feel the same way -- sad to see this end and so grateful that I got to see a bit of the magic in the making.
















That's a wrap!



2 comments:

  1. Someone told me they were filming tomorrow and I was planning to travel- are you sure they won't be filming then? I'm willing to take a risk but if they aren't, they aren't...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend from Bampton told me that they were wrapping things up today. That said, they could be back tomorrow to reshoot a scene that didn't quite turn out right. If it's a lovely day, there are worse things to do than wander through the lovely town of Bampton. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete