Sunday, September 13, 2015

Oxford Open Door Weekend

One of my favorite weekends in Oxford is the Open Door weekend that takes place the 2nd weekend of September each year.  It a wonderful weekend when the colleges and many of the carefully guarded treasures of the city of Oxford and the University are open to the general public, all for free. 


According to the University, Oxford Open Doors is the country's largest heritage open days event. I've gone 4 years in a row now and each year I've had the opportunity to see places and space that normally are not available to the general public.  This year I took a tour of the Oxford University Press and the local BBC studios.  I took a tour of Osney Mill and learned about what Oxford was like from 800-1500 AD.  I took a guided walk and learned about the Jewish history in Oxford from 1070 to 1290 when Jews were expelled from England.  I also took an archeology walk that highlighted the history that lies behind what we can see.  And then I went to see various colleges, some I hadn't seen and some that are old favorites. 


Four years ago my first weekend in Oxford was the Open Door Weekend.  I didn't realize what it was, I just thought we had landed in this magical city that was so accessible and welcoming.  We climbed towers and wandered into colleges and it seemed nothing was off limits.  It took me a while to understand that we arrived on what was a special weekend and that I couldn't expect to be able to just wander into a college any time I wanted to.  


Each year there is a different theme for Oxford Open Door.  This year the theme was books in honor of several libraries opening after being closed to restoration or reconstruction. I got to see the library at Queens College, the library at All Souls College and the new Weston Library of the Bodleian. 


I'm already looking forward to next year's Open Day weekend.  And in case this wasn't fun enough, next weekend is London's Open Door!  


The open door at Oxford Castle



In my tour I learned that the Oxford University Press is the largest and the second oldest University Press in the world.  They haven't print anything from the Oxford location since 1989 -- that is all done in various world-wide locations. The first book the Press printed was in 1478.  Currently it publishes more than 6,000 titles a year worldwide, in more than 40 languages and in a variety of formats – print and digital.



 My tour of the BBC in Summertown was also interesting.  It was fun to see the TV and Radio Studio and see how much they get done on such a  limited budget.



You never know what you are going to see during the Open Door Weekend

Vintage buses were available for free bus trips across town



The Upper Library at Queen's was open.  It was first opened in 1695 and houses the large collection from from various benefactors.  It has recently been renovated to it's original grandeur.  It is simply stunning. 


The great hall at Queen's College



The Chapel at Queen's



The chapel at Magdelan College


The large quad at Magdelan College


A view of Magdelan from the Addison walk


The chapel at All Souls College


A brass band played for the crowds visiting the college.  All Soul's is one of the most exclusive colleges. It is clearly a favorite as demonstrated by the crowds.  



The great hall at All Soul's




The Codrington Library at All Soul's College



One of my favorite college chapels -- the chapel at Exeter College


The great hall at Exeter College



No comments:

Post a Comment