Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Christmas Day Flooding and New Year’s Day Views

On Christmas day John, James and I walked over to the Thames.  The river had burst it’s banks for the third time in 3 months.  


Once again the road was impassible, the meadows turned into lakes, and the riverbank and bike path several feet under water.  


Flooding like this is turning into a common occurrence here.  People seem quite used to it -- they just keep calm, dry out, and carry on.
John went to check the river locks.  My wellies weren't high enough to wade through the water.

The grazing meadow is flooded and the sheep were all gone.  Moved to higher pastures, I hope. 
Boxing Day walk on the grounds of Blenheim Palace.
Today, New Year’s Day, Kate, John and I went for a wander on Boar’s Hill, the hill to the Southwest of Oxford.  We found the meadow from which so many postcard photos of Oxford are taken.  It is the best view of the “Dreaming Spires” I have yet encountered.  

 I can tell the days are getting longer because just a week ago, there would not have been enough light to take a photo so late in the afternoon. I’m looking forward to going back on a clear sunny day for more photos.  It truly is a beautiful  meadow with an even more impressive view.  

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment